As we embark on a new year at Emmanuel, we want to make it a priority to pursue God first in prayer and fasting.
We do this collectively as a church through 21 Days of Prayer and Fasting. Together, we faithfully pursue God first, trusting in His power alone to create lasting impact in our lives, our church, and our world.
In the hustle and bustle of everyday life it’s easy to let our prayer lives fall by the wayside. All too often prayer becomes a last resort instead of our first thought. Prayer isn’t just a last minute lifeline. God asks that we come to Him in both sorrow and joy, to depend on Him in all things and to celebrate our joys with Him like a close friend. Obedience through prayer is one of the greatest ways to honor and praise our God. We are called before anything else to pray first.
If you sense God has more for your life, 21 Days of Prayer and Fasting is a great place to start believing Him for all that He has for you. As you practice pursuing Him first, He will move on your behalf like never before. You will start to see the power of prayer impact your relationships, work, family, and every area of your life.
WHY DO WE FAST?
Fasting is a spiritual practice that enables the body of Christ to grow in their relationship with God. The purpose of a fast is to set a specific span of time for restricting certain foods or practices as a physical commitment to seek God through deeper personal engagement and fervent prayer. When we combine fasting with prayer and meditation, we can experience a more focused time of closeness with our Lord and seek His wisdom and help.
Matthew 6:16-18, Matthew 9:14-15, Luke 18:9-14, Acts 27:33-37, Nehemiah 9:1-3
TEACHING ON PRAYER AND FASTING
Other teaching messages about prayer and fasting: PURSUIT 2018 | SEEK 2017 | SEEK 2016
EXAMPLES OF ITEMS YOU MIGHT FAST
- Energy drinks
- Social media
You may also consider doing the Daniel Fast. Read more about that here.
EVERY DAY PRAYER FOCUS
- Humble ourselves. Asking for forgiveness for our sins and the sins of our land.
- Seeking God. Declaring our dependence on God in every area of our lives.
- His Kingdom Come. Praying for the completion of the Great Commission and for revival in our generation.
- Hear from Heaven. Inviting the Presence of God in our church and our lives (souls saved, signs, wonders, miracles, and transformed lives.)
- Next Steps. Praying for all people in their journey of faith for everyone to know Jesus, grow together, and live with purpose
- Believing God for answered prayer to our specific needs (prayer cards).